Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cans for charity

I've decided that collecting cans is pretty easy.

And for people like me, it is actually kind of fun.

I was thinking about what I was going to do with the 42 cans that I have collected so far this week, and I thought about donating the money to charity.

I know that every month Price Chopper has a box next to their bottle register for different non profit organizations. If you want, you can put your bottle slips in the box, and at the end of the month, that organization gets the total bottle slip money.

All you have to do is go to the customer service desk at any local Price Chopper, and ask to sign up for a certain month. It's that simple.

I think that is really nice of Price Chopper. Other places do it as well. Cans For Charity does this too. Their website also has cool facts about how much the charities get, and how much money they make in a year. Plus, they are also recycling, and making our world a better environment.

Often times, random shopping centers will have bins set outside their store where you can drop off your empty cans. They return the cans for you, and the money goes to charity. You can do something good for your community, and not have to do any work. There are tons of reasons to recycle.

You can also put your donation in a charity can, most chain stores have them.

I made $2.10 on my 42 cans that I returned. I put the $2.10 in the Salvation Army bucket outside of Price Chopper. I know it isn't much, but it is $2.10 more than they had before. Plus, the Salvation Army isn't doing so well with their collections this year, and have even started collecting earlier than they normally do.

I know that times are tough, and every penny counts.













However, it is almost Christmas time, so for once...give your cans to charity.

One time isn't going to kill you.

Happy can collecting for charity.

4 comments:

  1. Frank, in many ways your bottle collecting scheme is similar to Obama's healthcare plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was never giving cans away as charity or donating them. i assisted people by helping collect or leaving them in a nice place, but i never did more work than the people i was aiding.

    Besides that, i never demanded access to any of the homeless's medical history or threatened them with jail time if they didn't want my help.

    nice try Grumpy RA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply meant that they are both awesome. Duh, Franklin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha, fair enough. i'm an english major, you know i read into things too much =)

    ReplyDelete