Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chinese New Year at The Egg , Golden Tiger review


On the other side of the spectrum, the Chinese New Year celebration kicked off this Saturday with the Year of the Golden Tiger to a sold-sold show at the Egg. The entire performance was spoken in Chinese, making it a little difficult to understand the comedy sketches and singers. However, the New Year was not what I expected, rather than seasoned professionals; the show was more like an elementary dance recital, most of the performers being under fifteen. The three hour show did have a world class magician, Qi Le, who was remarkable (he took a full size shovel out of a hand bag) but I intrigued enough to stay past intermission. 

The most interesting part of this show centered around a new usher that I met. He had a mutton chops and looked like he was late life, but I started talking to him and didn’t really stop. He’s a dancer from Saratoga (the Flurry happened this weekend), and said he didn’t stop dancing until 4am the night before and was wearing the same clothes he had on when he crashed, “Me too!” We talked about Paris for a little while and he told me how he never thought he’d be so busy after retirement. 
I was really happy to find someone so down to earth, and although he talked a storm, he proved to be a great listener too, profoundly interested in an interview I just had and such. The best part of this show was that conversation, so in line with the year of the Tiger ferrying ambition, power and social upheaval, I’m glad I started it with meeting a (rarely seen) like-minded individual.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment