Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Top Three Tools for Understandment

I'm reading Autobiography of a Yogi and Paramahansa Yogananda brings up some interesting differences between Sanskrit and English. The most notable stems from Sanskrit 55 letter alphabet. He writes that words spoken in this language exemplify exactly what they mean.



When I think of language, the first thing that comes to my head is misunderstanding. Between tone and words being galaxies apart from others' definition, I find my self strictly using totally out of context words in order to relay and exact meaning, without the hesitations of incomprehension.

For example, the other day I was describing a trip to London to some new Study Abroad kids. The instructor asked me to retell my best piece of advice.

"You're not putting anything on hold while your away, because you'll find that whereever you are should be the place that's happening."

Maybe that sounds abstract in itself, but basically, when wrapping my rap up, I said , everything was strobe lighted.

Is that an out there adjective to describe something? I dunno, I was the one who said it. It seemed perfect to me, until I replayed the moment an hour after the event and took note of the expressions people made.

The expressions: Understading. I understand languge ennough to know that when one makes the face of understanding, true gasp-awe-stricken understanding; that it's not normal. People don't understand each other.

I knew the description was out there because people did understand it, more-so they exactly understood me.

Strobe lighted: The flashes. The brief moment of unknowing, and then the awareness of something new.

So here we are Top Three things to help get across your point in America, or at least pretend like your trying too.

3) "Ya know what i mean?"

Although this is a cliche one, it fits on a "quick fix list." It implies that the speaker is aware he is being abstract and wants to make sure the listener is on board. Mostly I find the listener "knows what I'm saying" regardless of if they do or not, but every now and then they call me on it. I take great pride in the fact that whenever I'm asked this question in the half-assedly "I assume you know" way...and I don't, I TELL 'EM SO!

2) "It's like.."

A simile may take time but it mostly works if you reverse the example to include the speaker.

     example: A friend's friend broke the house bong. He told me he would just give me some substance, but we rather of had the money to fix the piece. It's like if you broke my car and just gave me a Hess gift certificate.

It'll be great once I get the car fixed, but who needs fuel when you don't have the vessel.

1)  Sanskrit

Apparently that's were it's at. With 50 letters that carry an invariablied pronunciation, everything sounds exactly how it means (similar to the French's multiple-words-with the same meaning).

In the end it comes down to tone, and based on how Americans where raised, voicing will always be a variable.

However...I only communicate via brainwaves anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment